Chenonceau, bedroom of Gabrielle d'Estrées
The last 'royal' female owner of the Chateau de Chenonceau was Gabrielle d'Estrées.
She was not a 'real' royal, but the favourite mistress of Henry IV of France. She was the mother of his legitimatized son César, Duke of Vendôme and had 3 other children with the king.
King Henry was married to Margaret of Valois, the daughter of Catherine de' Medici. When this marriage was annulled because they did not produce any heirs to the throne, Henry planned to marry Gabrielle, the love of his life. Unfortunately, she died on 10 April 1599, only a few days after the pope gave the king permission to separate from his wife.
Of course, rumours spread immediately that Gabrielle was poisoned. The king's advisers objected to the marriage. The death of Gabrielle solved their problem quickly.
King Henry was devastated and gave Gabrielle a queen's funeral.
The bedroom is a reminder of Gabrielle, but she never actually lived at the Chateau de Chenonceau.
Another bedroom in the chateau is that of César, Duke of Vendôme, Gabrielle's firstborn son with the king.
He inherited the chateau not from his mother, but from Louise de Lorraine, the white queen.
The course of ownership in this era is a bit fussy.
Louise de Lorraine had inherited the chateau, together with the debts of Catherina de Medici. Catherine died in 1589 and left debts of an estimated $50 million in today's value. Henry IV than bought the chateau from Louise, to avoid her being ruined by this legacy. He gave the chateau to his mistress Gabrielle.
César of Vendôme married Françoise de Lorraine, the niece of Louise of Lorraine (the white queen).
So whether he got ownership of the chateau via his mother or via his wife's aunt, fact is the castle remained in the family of the Dukes de Vendome for generations to come.
In 1720, The Duke of Bourbon bought the castle. The Bourbon kings abandoned the chateau and it never went back to its former glory during the time of the Kings of Valois. King Louis XIV paid his last visit to the chateau in 1650.